[Omaha.pm] Sort quickie

Miller, Scott L (Omaha Networks) scott.l.miller at hp.com
Thu Jul 8 10:54:09 CDT 2004

See Jay's IP sorting routine below: Very cool :-)

Now, who's up for a discussion about whether it's a good idea to convert first and then sort, or leave the solution as given?

While this is a cheap, clear solution for small arrays, actually using this technique for large arrays with N elements, means that the conversions will need to be done O (N * ln N) times with recent version of perl (which use the heap sort).  Where if you convert first, then sort then convert back, the conversion only needs to be done 2*N times.  Using older versions of perl where the quick sort method was used, if the data was already sorted, then quick sort performs very badly, and the comparisons jump to O (N^2).  There is fascinating (to me anyway) discussion happening on the "perl-5-porters" email list, which can be found near the bottom of the page here:
The really interesting portion of the thread starts where you see the subject "Short circuiting sort".

To give you a quick taste of the discussion; as you may or may not know, sort in scalar context (what it returns) is undefined.  Several options have been discussed on what it should return in scalar context. Some want the first element in the resulting sorted list, some want a truth value of whether it was already sorted, some want the number of swaps performed, others want a ratio of how sorted the list was, etc.  Thus, due to the range of desires, and no clear cut "best option" it has been left undefined. That is the prehistory of this topic.

Recently someone presented a patch for sort to actually go play "nethack" if someone called it in scalar context. It was, of course, a joke, but some people ran with that joke...  Anyway, while that absurdity was being discussed, someone else said they would like to see the ability to short circuit the sort routine if they only wanted the first M elements resulting from a sort of N elements.  The argument being, "why sort the whole list if I only want the top 5 elements?".  Thus, the discussion of the pro's and con's of various sorting algorithms, how to implement a short circuiting ability without making a complete sort any more expensive etc.

Cool stuff.

-Scott