[Omaha.pm] IO/Multiplex.pm warning

Jeff Bisbee omaha-pm at jbisbee.com
Wed Aug 4 12:17:47 CDT 2004

* Jay Hannah (jhannah at omnihotels.com) wrote:
> In terms of pure multitasking capacity and maintenance...
> (Process 100 simultaneous inbound requests)
> Is POE typically used on top of Apache/mod_perl? Instead of Apache/mod_perl?

Neither, POE is basically a perl kernel centered around slicing execution
into tiny bits so they don't block. (at its core its an event loop with
hires time stamps so you can schedule events to execute in the future)
I haven't done anything hardcore, but I asked on #poe on irc.perl.org and
got this answer...

    <biz>   anybody know any limits os POE handle socket connections?
    <biz>   someone on a perl monger mailing list mentioned IO::Multiplex
            and I suggested POE as an alternative
    <biz>   I've never pushed any limits, his current implementation
            handles 100 simultaneous connections
    <hachi> eh... on short order tests I've pushed 1000 easily, but it
            all depends on what you're doing

I would just suggest playing with it.  It's EXTREMELY well tested and
just takes a bit to wrap your head around it.  You might want to sign up
to the mailing list, or hop on irc.perl.org, #poe if you have questions.

-- Jeff Bisbee / omaha-pm at jbisbee.com / jbisbee.com