[Oly-pm] art show using perl

Chris Allert it at morelater.com
Thu Jul 15 16:37:42 CDT 2004

since there's not much activity on this list these days, i thought i'd
just take this chance to plug my upcoming art show.  It's a video
installation, and most of the intellegence for generating the sound and
video was done in perl.  the actual heavy lifting is done in some c
programs i wrote to do sound synthesis and video rendering.  for dealing
with the actual output formats i used the mjpegtools.  I have attached a
more detailed description as a pdf.  (i'm not sure this list allows
attachments, though, so you can view the pdf here:
http://www.morelater.com/rfb.pdf)

the title of the show is "ready ? fix : battery; American Memory in 1/30
second" and it is at arthouse in downtown olympia on Saturday, July 17,
2004 from 7 - 11 pm.  so if you're going to lakefair, be sure to check out
my show too.  (arthouse is at 420B franklin, near the capitol theater.
the entrance to the performance space is around back)

if you want to see my source code, it's here:

sound synthesis program: http://www.morelater.com/rfb/patches.tbz
video rendering program: http://www.morelater.com/rfb/blitz.tbz
perl scripts to do everything else: http://www.morelater.com/rfb/blast.tbz

it's not at all documented at the moment, so you probably don't want to
download these files just yet, but they're there if you're curious.  you
can obtain the source images i use from the national archives by trying
every link matching this pattern:

http://media.nara.gov/media/images/8/26/08-2571a.gif

there is a file "pictures.txt"in "blast.tbz" that lists all the picture
ids i use, one per line.  to download just the pictures i use, you'll have
to translate these numbers into the above format (i can't remember what i
did with the perl script that does this).  then my system needs the files
as bzipped ppm files (you can use imagemagick or pbmplus or netpbm to
convert between gifs and ppms. i used pbmplus).

if you're curious, you can also go here

http://www.morelater.com/picture/

to look at random images from nara.  most of them will be broken since it
just tries random numbers matching the above pattern.  but it's a good way
to get a feeling of what's available in the collection.  (you may have to
refresh a few times before seeing anything.)  you can see the source code
for this page here:

http://www.morelater.com/picture/cgi.txt

anyway, i hope you all can make it to my show.