[Oc-pm] Richard Stallman speaking at UC Irvine on Friday

Steve M Bibayoff bibayoff at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 20:06:46 PDT 2007

Hello,

Richard Stallman will be speaking at UC Irvine this Friday, Nov 2nd at
10:00am at the CalIT2 Auditorium.

Richard Stallman is the Chief Gnu of the Free Software Foundation, the
organization responsible for a substantial part of the utility of
GNU/Linux system.  He is also the intellectual father of the GNU
General Public Licence, one of the most disruptive manifestos of the
software age.

He will speak on:

** The Danger of Software Patents **

"Richard Stallman launched the development of the GNU operating system
(see www.gnu.org) in 1984. GNU is free software: everyone has the
freedom to copy it and redistribute it, as well as to make changes
either large or small. The GNU/Linux system, basically the GNU
operating system with Linux added, is used on tens of millions of
computers today. Stallman has received the ACM Grace Hopper Award, a
MacArthur Foundation fellowship, the Electronic Frontier Foundation's
Pioneer award, and the the Takeda Award for Social/Economic
Betterment, as well as several honorary doctorates."

10:00am on Friday Nov 2nd at the CalIT2 Auditorium. The CalIT2
building is #325 at Coordinates H-8 on the UCI Campus Map:
http://today.uci.edu/pdf/UCI_07_map_campus_core.pdf

Parking is $7.00. Directions to UC Irvine can be found here:
http://today.uci.edu/pdf/UCI_07_map_loc.pdf

Also, if anyone is interested, there may be an ad hoc dinner party w/
Richard Stallman on Sunday evening/night right after BarCampLA (
http://barcampla.org/ ). If interested in attending this dinner,
please email me OFFLIST w/, preferable, your cel phone # so I could
text message you when I have the details. If you don't want to give me
your cel phone number, I'll be happy to send out an email w/ the info.

Any questions, please email me,

Steve