[Oc-pm] intro

Forrest Chang fkchang2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 27 18:40:23 CDT 2004

Hi Douglas:
--- "Wilson, Douglas" <dgwilson at sonomasystems.net>
wrote:

> We haven't had regular meetings for awhile now, so
> you haven't
> missed much :) I aim to change that, but probably
> not until
> next year, which really isn't that far away :-)

  I see you've had presentations in the past, I'd
probably be willing to do some if anything I do is of
interest to the group at large.

> one SQL statement I do in perl. And in my spare
> time, I
  I should get with you sometime.  I've purposely
tried to avoid DB's most of my programming life and
it's about time I changed it.

> fiddle with Tk and Wx. I've tried to learn emacs,

  I'm a big Tk fan.

> but
> I've been too productive with vi for too long, and
> I'm
> still finding out neat things that vim can do.

  For emacs, I used to be an emacs bigot, but I figure
if you're similarly effective w/whatever editor you
use, that's fine.  The pragmatic programmers summed it
up well, "Emacs has a near vertical learning curve,
but once you're over it, it pays off."   I suppose
pairing with an emacs guru might give one the
inspiration to go with it.

  I've written a gui based perl object browser at work
(unfortunatley it's a classified project, so I won't
be able to bring the code out), so I'm inclined to
write gui based development tools to integrate w/emacs
to provide a spiffy IDE for perl one of these days.

FOrrest