OC-PM: Follow up...

Michael Wood mike at web.oakley.com
Wed Jul 2 14:09:24 CDT 2003

Greetings,

We had a real good meet last night and everyone threw in their two cents worth
on some possible directions for the group.  Some really good suggestions came
in that I think we'll try out for the upcoming PM meetings.

We're going to try to appeal to both novice and adept alike by dividing the
discussions into two parts...mainly an intro/how-to with something perl-ish
for the first portion of the meeting and then continuing on perhaps with more
advanced uses on the meetings topic.

Basically, for example, this is what module X can do, and how to use it...and
then going into examples as to *why* you would need to use it, posing real
world examples.

So, for next month's meeting, we're going to propose the topic of Perl itself
and run through some introductory material such as:

1) why it's so cool (vs other languages)
2) common uses for perl and why you'd need (want) to use it.

and then as we advance...
1) a brief overview of the *nix filesystem
2) overview of the shell's impact on a perl programmer (the invisble things)

So it should be a good refresher for the adept, and brain food for those just
starting out.  There'll be pizza, coffee and sodas an' stuff too.

Hope to see you there -
Michael