OC-PM: Introduction

bill at daze.net bill at daze.net
Wed Jul 10 02:23:58 CDT 2002

> Name's Samy Kamkar and I'm the founder of the LA perl monger...
> but moving down to Sandy Eggo this month.  My work is in Carlsbad .. not
> sure how far away that is from OC but I'm definitely going to begin
> participating in the OCPM and get it rolling if it needs to be :)

Hmmm, Carlsbad is about a 30 minute drive in good traffic (i.e. no
traffic).

By the way, I guess I should actually introduce myself to the list.  When
I signed up I thought this was just an *announcement* list.  I didn't
realize I could post until I saw Michael's post a few days ago.

I'm really just a small time perl hacker coding up stuff for the business
that my wife and I started back in 1996 (web hosting, domain reg, DNS and
forwarding services).  In my spare time, I have coded most of the
management tools (both back end and end user interfaces) used by my wife,
her employees and customers.  All coded in perl, most talk to a mysql
database.  My full time day job has nothing at all to do with perl....  :(

I look forward to learning more from all of you.

Last year at OSCON I had the pleasure of *formal* perl training from
Randal Schwartz and Tom Phoenix
(http://perl.oreilly.com/news/perlint_0801.html).  It was a lot of fun.
Then I went on to sit through talks by the likes of Damian Conway (that
guy's knowledge is incredible).

I can't want until OSCON2002 which starts in less than two weeks (July 22).

-Bill