[oak perl] BALUG Tu 2013-02-19: Elizabeth Krumbach on Linux deployments in Ghana; & other BALUG News

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Fri Feb 15 07:26:19 PST 2013

BALUG Tu 2013-02-19: Elizabeth Krumbach on Linux deployments in Ghana;
& other BALUG News

BALUG meeting Tu 2013-02-19:
Elizabeth Krumbach on Linux deployments in Ghana

And don't forget, that's the day after President's Day, for those
enjoying President's Day off.

------------------------------

items, details further below:
BALUG Tu 2013-02-19: Elizabeth Krumbach on Linux deployments in Ghana
BALUG Tu 2013-03-19: Stefano Maffulli on OpenStack
Book(s), CDs/DVDs, and other "door prizes", etc.
volunteering to help BALUG
Twitter https://twitter.com/#!/BALUG_org

------------------------------

Bay Area Linux User Group (BALUG) meeting
Tuesday 6:30 P.M. 2013-02-19

For our 2013-02-19 BALUG meeting, we're proud to present:

Elizabeth Krumbach on Linux deployments in Ghana

In October of 2012 Elizabeth Krumbach accompanied other volunteers from
Computer Reach[1], a non-profit based out of Pittsburgh, PA, on a trip
to Ghana in western Africa to assist with the deployment of 100
Edubuntu[2]-based desktop computers.  In this talk she will share
photos and details of the trip, along with some of the lessons they
learned about doing such a deployment in a developing country, covering
hardware, software and training requirements.  For a bit more
background, one can also have a look at her earlier Ubuntu User[3]
article: Road Trip: Delivering Edbuntu systems to Ghana[4].

Elizabeth Krumbach works as a Linux Systems Administrator focused on
continuous integration, holds a position on the Ubuntu Community
Council[5] and is the Treasurer and a Director at the non-profit
Partimus[6].  She has held a leadership position in the Ubuntu
Women[7], Ubuntu Classroom[8] and Ubuntu News[9] projects for several
years and recently took over as Marketing and Website lead for the
Xubuntu[10] Linux distribution.  Former coordinator for the
Philadelphia area Linux Users Group[11], she is now living in San
Francisco and is one of the leaders of the Ubuntu California[12] team
where she coordinates Bay Area Ubuntu events and meetings, install
fests, booths and hosts Debian dinners every couple months for Bay Area
Debian[13].

1. http://computereach.com/
2. http://edubuntu.org/
3. http://www.ubuntu-user.com/
4.
http://www.ubuntu-user.com/content/download/3340/22578/file/070-073_edubuntu.pdf
5. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CommunityCouncil
6. http://www.partimus.org/
7. http://women.ubuntu.com/
8. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Classroom
9. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NewsTeam
10. http://www.xubuntu.org/
11. http://www.phillylinux.org/
12. http://ubuntu-california.org/
13. http://bad.debian.net/

Please RSVP if you're planning to come (see further below).

So, if you'd like to join us please RSVP to:

                        rsvp at balug.org

**Why RSVP??**

Well, don't worry we won't turn you away, but the RSVPs really help
BALUG and the Four Seas Restaurant plan the meal and meeting, and with
sufficient attendance, they also help ensure that we'll be able to eat
upstairs in the private banquet room.

Meeting Details...

   6:30pm
   Tuesday, February 19th, 2012 2013-02-19

   Four Seas Restaurant http://www.fourseasr.com/
   731 Grant Ave.
   San Francisco, CA 94108
   Easy PARKING:
     Portsmouth Square Garage at 733 Kearny:
     http://www.sfpsg.com/

   Cost: The meetings are always free, but for dinner, for your gift of
     $13 cash or more, we give you a gift of dinner - joining us for a
     yummy family-style Chinese dinner - tax and tip included (your gift
     also helps in our patronizing the restaurant venue and helping to
     defray BALUG costs such as treating our speakers to dinner).

------------------------------

For our 2013-03-19 BALUG meeting, we're proud to present:

Stefano Maffulli[1] on OpenStack[2]

Open source software for building private and public clouds.  OpenStack
is a global collaboration of developers and cloud computing
technologists producing the ubiquitous open source cloud computing
platform for public and private clouds. The project aims to deliver
solutions for all types of clouds by being simple to implement,
massively scalable, and feature rich. The technology consists of a
series of interrelated projects[3] delivering various components for a
cloud infrastructure solution.

1. http://www.openstack.org/blog/author/stefano/
2. http://www.openstack.org/
3. http://www.openstack.org/projects/

------------------------------

Book(s), CDs/DVDs, and other "door prizes", etc.

Goodies we'll have at the meeting (at least the following):

Book review copies
For Tuesday's meeting, we should have (selection of)
at least one of these books to give away:
Ubuntu Unleashed 2013 Edition: Covering 12.10 and 13.04, 8th Edition
DevOps Troubleshooting: Linux Server Best Practices
details:
http://lists.balug.org/pipermail/balug-talk-balug.org/2013-February/005012.html

CDs/DVDs, etc. - have a peek here:
http://www.wiki.balug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=balug:cds_and_images_etc
We may also be able to "burn" images per request or copy to USB flash,
etc.  Donations of blank or +-RW media, USB flash, or funding thereof,
also appreciated.  See the above URL for details.

We've also got a few other miscellaneous items to be given away (e.g.
got (more) cowbell?).

------------------------------

volunteering to help BALUG

Want to volunteer to help out BALUG?  Quite a variety of opportunities*
Drop us a note at:
balug-contact at balug.org
Or come talk to us at a BALUG meeting.
*e.g.:
o assist on publicity
o assist on speaker coordination/procurement, etc.
o webmastering
o archivist/history/retrieval/etc.
o Linux Systems Administration (e.g. do/assist/learn, with/under some
   quite experienced and skilled Linux systems administrators).
o chief/assistant cat herder
o and other various/miscellaneous tasks BALUG "ought" to be doing or
   would be good to do (feel free to bring in ideas!)

Twitter - you can also follow BALUG on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/#!/BALUG_org

Feedback on our publicity/announcements (e.g. contacts or lists where we
should get our information out that we're not presently reaching, or
things we should do differently): publicity-feedback at balug.org