[oak perl] A good read when loading tricky CPAN modules

Steve Kolupaev skolupae at sonic.net
Wed Jan 23 12:11:14 PST 2008

"Problematic perl prerequisites - O'Reilly Sysadmin" -  Chris Josephes

http://www.oreillynet.com/sysadmin/blog/2008/01/problematic_perl_prerequisites.html

This is a good discussion of the difficulties we sometimes have
when loading a  new CPAN module.   It is well written with
numerous well-written replies.

I would recommend reading it when perl -MCPAN -e'shell', or

   perl Makefile.PL
   make
   make test
   make install

sends you out into the jungle with multiple levels of prerequisites.

If the writer and the responders have this much
to discuss, then we ordinary folks aren't idiots.

Steve K