[oak perl] Dot-Org Booth at LinuxWorld?

Joe Brenner doom at kzsu.stanford.edu
Thu May 3 12:18:17 PDT 2007

Quinn Weaver <quinn at fairpath.com> wrote:

> Joe Brenner wrote:
> >
> > George Woolley <george at metaart.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Do you think it's a good idea for the local Perl Mongers groups
> > > to have a dot-org booth at LinuxWorld?
> >
> > Yes, a very good idea.  The next subject though would be what is the
> > general shtick.  I'd suggest CPAN activity stats, upcoming features
> > in 5.10, and so on.
>
> Excellent ideas.

Some time I'd like to try to graph module interdependencies of
all of CPAN.  I have a suspicion it would take a *lot* of space to
display it, though.

> I can do Q&A about Catalyst, since MVCs are trendy these days.
> This is good for the people who ask about Ruby versus Perl.

It's a thought.  Lightning talks for the masses.

We could have "mod_perl demos": set up some web browsers pointing
at Ticket Master, Salon, and Amazon.

> People will probably ask, "What's in Perl 6?" (and also "When will
> it be out?")  I am not up on this topic, and I would appreciate
> help from someone who is.

Myself, I'm not sure I'd mention it until they ask, though.
(Sub-text: perl 5 isn't dead.  Perl 6 is something else
with an unfortunately similar name.)

> Finally, I'm afraid we'll have to add "debunking Perl myths".

That's what I was getting at, I was just trying to be positive
about it.  You answer a question like "but isn't perl dying?"
without actually repeating the question.

> It's true: Perl gets no respect.  Every time I tell people I write
> Perl code, they look at me like I'm wearing a foil hat.

I've been finding "I just do perl" to be a pretty good defense against
people who want me to work on their cousin's software problems.