[oak perl] You're Invited: Monitoring SIG, Weds May 9 7PM

Chris Barton Anderson cba at groundworkopensource.com
Wed May 2 15:13:13 PDT 2007

(Hi: You're invited to the BayLISA Monitoring SIG, Weds May 9, 7PM. See
the meeting announcement below: feel free to post it and/or forward it
along to anyone else who might be interested. See you there!)

May BayLISA Monitoring SIG: Mini- to Mega-Monitoring

Between the two presenters at the next Monitoring SIG we'll span the
breadth and complexity of monitoring sites:

1) Bob will outline the modest needs of his "two servers at the colo"
configuration: he doesn't have any monitoring in place yet, so we'll
brainstorm about what he should deploy and how.

2) Charity from Linden Labs will discuss the current challenges and
future plans for the three-and-a-half sys admins managing and monitoring
the 4000+ servers(!) that sustain Second Life.

We'll use these two examples to frame how to approach setting up and
maintaining a monitoring setup.  Newbies: bring your thorniest (or most
basic) monitoring questions and issues.  Not-So-Newbies: come prepared
to share your experiences re. successful deployment, knowledge of
specific tools and techniques, etc.

What: BayLISA Monitoring SIG VII: Mini- to Mega-Monitoring
Who: Anyone interested in IT monitoring issues and tools (newbies
particularly welcome!)
When: Wednesday, May 9 2007, 7PM
Where: GroundWork Open Source, 139 Townsend St., San Francisco
How: 139 Townsend St. is very near AT&T Park. It is two blocks from the
CalTrain Depot. Take the MUNI T (or J) trolley to 2nd and King (ballpark
stop) or take the 30 or 45 bus (among others) crosstown. Free evening
street parking can probably be found because the Giants are playing an
afternoon game (vs. Mets, 12:35 start) and it should be over by the time
the SIG starts.
Cost: Free!!

Pizza pizza pizza, drinks drinks drinks, and snacks snacks snacks will
be provided by GroundWork. We'll open up the doors at 6:30 or so and
start the formal part of the meeting promptly at 7PM.
RSVP (not necessary, but helpful): Peter Mui,
pmui at groundworkopensource.com, 415 992 4573