[oak perl] Setting Up Perl on a Kubuntu System

Currie, Larry lcurrie at calacademy.org
Mon Feb 5 17:34:16 PST 2007

Hi Everyone,

I've been away for a while working on other projects, but now I'm back
working on a project that uses Perl, and I'm having a bit of a problem
getting Perl scripts to be recognized on my newly set up Kubuntu Linux
system.  The first time I attempt to use a Perl script is from a php page,
and in my Apache error log I see the following error message:

Script not found or unable to stat: /usr/lib/cgi-bin/cbhl, referrer:
http://library.calacademy.org/cbhl/ill/util/editlib.php

Seeing this message, I then went into my apache2.conf and changed the cgi-bin
ScriptAlias from /var/www/cgi-bin to /usr/lib/cgi-bin

After doing that, I then got the following error messages:

Premature end of script headers: libedit.pl, referrer:
http://library.calacademy.org/cbhl/ill/util/editlib.php

Can't locate cgi-lib.pl in @INC (@INC contains: etc/perl
/usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8 /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5
/usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8 /usr/share/perl/5.8
/usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /usr/lib/cgi-bin/cbhl/libedit.pl line 21.,
referrer: http://library.calacademy.org/cbhl/ill/util/editlib.php

And in the access log is this:

"POST /cgi-bin/cbhl/libedit.pl HTTP/1.1" 500 637
http://library.calacademy.org/cbhl/ill/util/editlib.php ....

One person I spoke to seemed to think that I might need to log in as root and
give permission for everyone to access the cgi-bin directory, but I'm
wondering if the problem may lie elsewhere.

Any suggestions?

Larry Currie

Lawrence Currie

Academy Librarian