[oak perl] Follow-up on computer recycling...

Jon Seidel CMC jseidel at edpci.com
Sun Dec 16 16:58:29 PST 2007

Folks.

I was looking for a good place to donate my used computer "stuff" so that it
could be put to good use, and the folks who were at the December meeting
came up with two viable alternatives:

PC Community (PC users group) at http://pcc.org <http://pcc.org/>

Alameda County Computer Resource Center at http://accrc.org
<http://accrc.org/>

Here's my experience so far:

First, I tried pcc.org. They are all volunteer, put together working systems
from parts, and donate them to local groups that need help. They have a nice
online form (fill-in-the blanks PDF) to submit a request and have them get
back to you. They offer to pick up the goods.  Unfortunately, I never got a
response back from them :-(

Second, I tried accrc.org. You have to drop things off at their site, so it
was a little more work (and they're in Berkeley which is close to me), but
eminently doable. However, when I arrived at the site, they were more
recycling (ala the drop-off points for Goodwill Industries - large wooden
bins into which stuff just gets dumped) than computer repurposing. I had an
old HP inkjet portable printer which came in two parts plus a small box of
related parts and even tho I tried to get the guy to put them all together,
it was clear that he either didn't understand or didn't care. I'm convinced
that this particular printer will most likely be rendered less usable as a
result.

So. it's a mixed bag. Next time (or if they manage to contact me from the
present attempt), I'm going to try pcc.org. they may actually "care" for
this stuff a little more which will make me feel as if it really will be put
to good use.

HTH.have a great holiday season!

.jon