[oak perl] O'Reilly Books?

Joe Brenner doom at kzsu.stanford.edu
Sun Apr 15 14:29:34 PDT 2007

Quinn Weaver <quinn at fairpath.com> wrote:

> George Woolley wrote:

> > >From time to I have the opportunity
> > to get one or more O'Reilly books
> > (e.g. for putting up banners).
> >
> > Any suggestions re what I should get
> > would be appreciated.

> Perl Best Practices is indispensable.

Well... it's really, really good anyway.

(Whenever Damien recommends a module, I wonder what the
gotcha is *this* time.  Usually they break the debugger
or something.)

If you're not up on "The Perl Cookbook", that's an obvious
one that I would say really is indispensable.

I'm interested in the "Perl Hacks" book, though haven't
read it yet, myself.

"Mastering Regular Expressions" is really good, if you
haven't read it yet.

The Mason book is pretty good, and I see there's a competing
Template Toolkit book... you need to know one or the other
(if not both) if you're going to do any serious web work with
perl.

Oh, and this book isn't bad (though it's a little sketchy,
as you might expect): "Perl Testing: A Developer's Notebook"
But note: read the on-line errata.  There's a code example that
can't work without a non-standard extension.