[oak perl] Linux posters

Adrien Lamothe alamozzz at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 10 10:54:29 PDT 2006

Thanks Michael, those are excellent suggestions. I understand where you're coming from and I think your scenes are effective. It is difficult to do an ad that appeals to a wide range of people. IBM's "Linux child" series was a masterpiece, that had wide appeal, though non-techies must have found it cryptic.

Michael Paoli <Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu> wrote: Just my $0.02 USD worth, or so, ...

but I'd be inclined to:
scrap the two with the gal crawling all over the guy,
but just cover more of the surrounding area (particularly to the sides and
front of the (presumed) models).  That makes your "Macs are cool" shot.
Then redo it for "Linux is hot".  *Exactly* the same (same models, clothes,
location, camera positioning, etc.), except I'd change it as follows:
those two models are smiling a fair bit more, ... but not too much - enough
to suggest they're much more content and satisfied with what they're
working with/on, but nothing to suggest what's going on is at all
out-of-the-ordinary or exceptional in what they observe - and their gazes are
still as fixed upon their computer screens ... except they're not Mac
computers ... they're something "obiously" running LINUX (or so should well
be implied by the apparent logos/stickers), ... and ... there's a fair sized
crowd around each of them, swooning at them (but not crawling over them),
"hot" guys and gals, ... and
heck, maybe even a fair mix of 40/50/.../70+ folks mixed in there too,
all swooning and quite obviously admiring the users of Linux (and to a
lesser degree their systems running Linux - but some can have their
attention focused there too) ... and again, the two using the Linux systems
are carrying on as if to say, "This is nothing at all unusual or extrordinary,
this is just how it always is with Linux".

Actually, ... could change out the models sitting at the computers in the
"Linux is hot" shot, as described above, ... but attire, presentation,
posture, etc., should be quite similar (using the exact same pair at
the computers might seem a bit "confusing" (e.g. what came first, why'd
they switch, which way, etc.)).  Maybe also arrange those two tables a
bit further apart (more emphasis on the relative "coolness") of Mac) - and
also leaves more room for an admiring/swooning crowd with same position
of the computer using models and tables in the "Linux is hot" shot.

references/excerpts:
"Linux posters" sequence:
http://mail.pm.org/pipermail/oakland/2006-October/001897.html
http://mail.pm.org/pipermail/oakland/2006-October/subject.html