[oak perl] RMS Interview

George Woolley george at metaart.org
Thu Mar 9 14:47:50 PST 2006

Hi Adrien,
Thanks for your clearly presented comments.

I also think Linus values freedom.
My impression is that that RMS does too,
however, I gather RMS thinks Linus values convenience more.
The specific context in which the matter comes up
doesn't convince me of that.

You say RMS is not staying true to the concept of freedom.
I'm not convinced.
I'm not sure what concept of freedom you have in mind,
but I'm wondering if it's the same as RMS's.
So far, it appears to me that RMS's views fit together.

I understand that people who favor a microkernel
often cite modularity, flexibility, extensibility and such
as advantages.
So far microkernels haven't worked out well.
Personally, I'm happy for someone
to try to make the purported advantages real.
George