[oak perl] Request to Bring Laptop

David Fetter david at fetter.org
Sun Sep 4 13:04:38 PDT 2005

On Sun, Sep 04, 2005 at 10:12:35AM -0700, Jon Seidel, CMC wrote:
> George... I belive I can satisfy the laptop requirement.
>
> Also, does anyone have any suggestions for a Perl IDE which is vi
> capable?

Vim is good, and if you must have integrated GUI support beyond what
your display system provides, gvim is excellent :)

> I've been using vi for so long (currently using GVim 6.3 and poking
> around with Elvis) that I just can't stop my colon-ic response to
> commands in non-vi IDEs.

The obvious answer is, "don't switch."  You're already productive with
a modal editor, and the cost of learning another one is definitely
high, where the benefits are at most uncertain.  Over the past few
weeks, some self-promoting idiot has been yelling that the sky is
falling because Eclipse's support for Perl isn't to his liking.
Needless to say, the sky is *not* falling, and the guy is still an
idiot.

Cheers,
David Fetter david at fetter.org http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!