[oak perl] Oakland.pm September Meeting

Steven Kuo skuo at psi.nsc.com
Fri Sep 2 12:33:11 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005, Jon Seidel, CMC wrote:

> Thanks, George... I'm going to try to be there.
>
> I have a question for the group... maybe this is an appropriate topic.
>
> What is the 'best' way to set up a development environment so that one can
> include modules for OO programming (e.g., using Class::DBI for database
> access), structured for testing (e.g., using Test::More), and for web
> development (probably using Template::Toolkit) so that I can develop the
> application, test it as I go, and then package and 'distribute' it to the
> web server where I will actually be running the app. I want to use
> Module::Build and some of its extensions to make things easier.
>
> I'm open to other tools, but I expect that the development environment /
> directory structure should(?) be similar.
>
> Thanks much...jon

If you're distributing a web-based, MVC application, you may want to
consider Catalyst:

º It fits in nicely with the modules you've mentioned (e.g.,
Class::DBI, Template).

     http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/wiki/NecessaryBackgroundKnowledge

º It seems to be ready-to-package using Module::Build

     http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/wiki/DistributeApplications

º It seems to be popular (being a topic presented at the most recent
YAPC::EU), but I'm not sure this means much...

--
Hope this helps,
Steven