[oak perl] Perl on USB flash drive

Bob goolsby bob.goolsby at gmail.com
Sun May 1 12:32:01 PDT 2005

Yup.  Is possible, easy, and fun.

I installed AP 5.8.1, GD::Graph, and some other CPAN code on a 64M
flash drive last month so that we could run an application I had
developed under contract for a site where the firewall rules were a
bit funky.  I could connect to the PPM repository; I could read the
code; but I could *not* download code.  There was some kind of Port
restriction, I could cut and paste the 90+ pages, but....)  It would
have taken almost three weeks to get the paperwork sorted out and get
the port opened.  (Something about a hardware/software change freeze
in place until after Tax Day.)

The solution was to build my Perl on a flash drive at home,  Add the
CPAN code I needed, take to the site in my briefcase, and have the
Security Mavens verify that Perl and the Application were the only
things on the drive.  With that blessed, we could physically carry the
entire installation into the data-center and install (read copy,
dist-to-disk) from the flash-drive to the hard-drive of the applicable
servers.

Bob G