[oak perl] world peace via software

Sandy Santra santranyc at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 30 05:04:21 PST 2005

Mark Bole <mark at bincomputing.com> wrote:

>Sandy, did anyone achieve world peace in your testing? :-)

Uh...I think the jury's still out on that.

But since excellent software makes for more "transparent"
computer usage--i.e., software so easy (and fun) that people
don't even notice they're using it--maybe good coding *can*
promote world harmony.

Granted, much of coding is just building the "back end"
(creating and maintaining infrastructure), but perhaps there's
a "cosmic" argument that the underlying structure of software
has an "aura" that can affect or influence the UI experience.

I think it's got to matter.  Especially since so much of
media, business, and even socializing (email) in "first
world countries" now utilizes computers on a day-to-day
basis.

As an example, when I think of all the user groups I've
supported over the years who were forced to use Windows
every day at work, they seemed--in toto--*much* more UNhappy
than, say, the WELL userbase of the early 90s, which was
using UNIX and Picospan.  (And don't even get me started
on configuring, using, and supporting Outlook.)

Anyway, I have to say I love the Zen vibe of sitting down
to code.

So here's to "enlightened" software.

--Sandy Santra