[oak perl] The mysterious "undef"

Zed Lopez zed.lopez at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 09:47:46 PST 2005

One aspect of use warnings is that you get a "Use of uninitialized
value" warning if you try to use an undef value.

Perl will auto-convert undef to '' if you use it as a string, and you
won't hear about it if you don't have warnings on.

Always turn warnings on for non-trivial scripts. (There are reasons to
turn it off for selected code blocks, and super-experts like Damian
Conway often do a lot of stuff with it off... but until you're a
super-expert and you _know_ you have a very good reason for having it
off for a specific piece of code, leave it on.)

This isn't a pointless issue: you should and must understand Perl's
automatic conversions, or its DWIMmery won't do what you mean.