[oak perl] Fwd: Google Hacks, Second Edition

George Woolley george at metaart.org
Tue Jan 25 17:31:25 PST 2005

Back in 2003, I wrote a review of the first edition of this book.
I thought it was very good.

Anyone interested in reviewing the second edition? <<<<<<

Subject: Google Hacks, Second Edition
Date: Tuesday 25 January 2005 1:37 pm
From: "O'Reilly Media" <elists-admin at oreillynet.com>
To: sassafras at metaart.org

"Google Hacks, Second Edition," by Tara Calishain and Rael Dornfest, is a
unique collection of tips and tools gathered from expert users of Google,
as well as developers who work with Google's API. The book offers a
variety of interesting ways for power users to mine the enormous amount of
information that Google has access to, including how to:

-Search smarter with Google's flexible search syntax
-Pull results from hard-to-reach places using the Google Web API and a
 little Perl, PHP, Python, Java, or .NET programming
-Bring the power and flexibility of Google search to your desktop with
 Google Desktop and to your web site with Google Site Search
-Break down the barriers to online advertising with Google AdWords and
 make money yourself with AdSense on your site
-Gain a clear understanding of how Google looks at your site and learn
 more about Google's famous PageRank algorithm
-Change your emailing ways with Gmail, Google's unique take on online
 correspondence

In his foreword to the book, Craig Silverstein, Director of Technology at
Google, observes, "Since 'Google Hacks' first appeared, search has, if
possible, only grown in importance. Not only is there more information
than ever to be found--via email, computer hard drives, and newly
digitized repositories of previously offline content--there is also a
greater need to automate tasks and to locate that needle of information in
a haystack that will just not stop growing."

Coauthor Calishain agrees: "Data on the Internet will only get more
extensive. I think we'll see more ways of searching for it, and I think
that Google will lead the way in offering different methods of cutting
though the data to get what you want."

To order your copy or for more information, see:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/googlehks2/
or call 1-800-998-9938
or email orders at oreilly.com

Google Hacks, Second Edition
Tara Calishain, Rael Dornfest
Publisher: O'Reilly
ISBN: 0-596-00857-0, 479 pages, $24.95 US, $36.95 CA
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/googlehks2/

For non-automated human help email help at oreillynet.com