[oak perl] resend with funny reason

Benjamin Elijah Griffin oaklandpm at eli.users.panix.com
Tue Feb 15 12:57:22 PST 2005

Last week I tried to post the following. Today I should be able to.[4]

Adrien Lamothe <alamozzz at yahoo.com> wrote:
> What does this have to do with Perl? Well, as an interpreted language,
> Perl programs will always run slower than their compiled cousins.
> Interpreted languages always benefit from hardware speed increases. So,
> on this newer hardware, Perl may be considered for tasks that it
> previously wasn't.

I've written a couple of scripts using my Image::PBMLib[0] module and
I always find them damn slow. I wrote some steganography tools[0]
using that to verify an example steganographic image[1]. Then I modified
pamarith.c from NetPBM[2] to have logic operators. The C version is
easily a hundred times faster. The last few pbm tools I've written
I've done by modifying an existing C utility without the perl
prototype first.[3]

Of course, my Image::PBMLib API doesn't lend itself to speedy code.

Elijah
------
[0] http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-authors/id/E/EL/ELIJAH/
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steganography
[2] http://netpbm.sourceforge.net/
    My patches have been submitted and acknowledged, but not yet
    incorporated into a release.
[3] http://www.panix.com/~eli/jpeg/cmyk.html
    Not yet submitted to NetPBM. Those created for this:
    http://www.panix.com/~eli/jpeg/
[4] Quote staff at panix:
    : > I just found this in my mail:
    : >
    : > > Content-Description: Delivery report
    : > > Content-Type: message/delivery-status
    : > >
    : > > Reporting-MTA: dns; l2mail1.panix.com
    : > > X-Postfix-Queue-ID: 6BDC3127F6
    : > > X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; eli at panix.com
    : > > Arrival-Date: Tue,  8 Feb 2005 15:30:26 -0500 (EST)
    : > >
    : > > Final-Recipient: rfc822; oakland at pm.org
    : > > Action: failed
    : > > Status: 4.0.0
    : > > Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; connect to mailhost.panix.com[166.84.1.74]:
    : > >     Connection refused
    : >
    : >
    : > It looks like my message didn't go out because l2mail1.panix.com
    : > couldn't make a connection to mailhost.panix.com. That seems
    : > very odd.
    :
    : Weird; glad you pointed this out.  A zillion years ago we were
    : authoritative for pm.org.  Somehow, there were remnants of that
    : data hanging around.  The result was that we thought we were
    : doing secondary MX for them.
    :
    : For whatever reason, we couldn't get to pm.org when you sent
    : your mail, so it went to our relay server (l2mail1), which tried
    : a bit later.  When l2mail1 found that it couldn't reach pm.org
    : it tried to get to our mailhost (remember, it thought we were
    : doing secondary MX).  Now, we don't allow l2mail1 to hand mail to
    : our other mail servers because that could create a mail loop.
    :
    : Hence the message you received.
    :
    : We've cleared pm.org out of our zone files, which should prevent
    : this from happening again.