[oak perl] ActiveState 5.8.6

Belden Lyman blyman at iii.com
Tue Feb 8 10:37:07 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 10:02, Sandy Santra wrote:
> I'm trying to install ActiveState 5.8.6 Perl on a Win95 machine, but the
> installation stops and says "Windows Scripting Host" isn't present.

http://www.activestate.com/Products/Download/Download.plex?id=ActivePerl

There's 2 links to download perl; the AS package and the .MSI.

I seem to recall that the AS package is a setup.exe whereas the
.MSI is a setup.msi. I think the difference is in which installer
gets used and whether you get an uninstall option. (Uninstall perl?!
They're mad!)

> Anyone have a link for downloading this?  There are so many scripting
> download resources at the Microsoft site, I'm not sure which I need:

The page also has a link to download the installer for Win9x.
Look for the text "Windows Installer 2.0".

Again on the ISTR bandwagon, I think I initially tried to get the
.msi to install on a 95 box and couldn't install, so ended up
using the AS instead.

Belden