[oak perl] OT: typeface question at Oakland.pm meeting

Mark Theodoropoulos mtheo at amural.com
Wed Sep 15 14:44:14 CDT 2004

I don't remember who asked about the fonts used for the Schoenberg
slides -- of course these days I don't remember things like what month
it is or whether my fly is zipped -- but that provides an excuse to
advertise the typeface for everyone: it's ITC Oldrichium by George E.
Thompson of No Bodoni Typography (http://www.nobodoni.com/).

Oldrichium is a tribute to the Czech expressionist type designer
Oldrich Menhart; Thompson's design is an interpretation of Menhart's
Manuscript face, and it's actually more authentic Menhart than the
"official" Esselte-Letraset version of Menhart's other masterpiece,
Figural. Whoever digitized Figural for LT drained every ounce of blood
out of the roman and most of it out of the italic; it's a complete
abortion and not even worth the time to download a pirated copy, not
that anyone here would ever contemplate such a thing, even those who
know enough history to recognize that copyrighting typefaces is a
complete absurdity....

Cheers,

Mark Theodoropoulos
Berkeley