[oak perl] Help with Perl on Windows

Belden Lyman blyman at iii.com
Mon Oct 25 12:19:40 CDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-23 at 15:49, Jon Seidel, CMC wrote:
> Couple of questions regarding Perl on Windows (I know, I know... :)
>
> I've been using ActiveState for some time and it's OK. However, since they
> were purchased, I am wondering about their commitment to the product.

I hadn't heard this news... must check it out later! :)

> So - Question #1: does anyone know of any other ports to Windows and how do
> they compare to ActiveState? I'd like to find a port where I can just use
> the CPAN module to install modules (see Question #3 below).

cygwin has a perl binary. From http://www.cygwin.com :

   Cygwin is a Linux-like environment for Windows. It consists of
   two parts:
      * A DLL (cygwin1.dll) which acts as a Linux API emulation
        layer providing substantial Linux API functionality.
      * A collection of tools, which provide Linux look and feel.

and also google around for 'cygperl'.

I've used cygperl + CPAN to install modules. IIRC it was mostly
painless, but I may be blocking some trauma :)

> Question #2: I've been using the free distribution (I'm on perl 5.8), but
> I'm wondering if anyone knows if the support from ActiveState improves if
> you purchase the professional tools (such as Komodo and the Perl Dev Kit)?
> I'd be willing to buy it for better support and fixes to my problems. (The
> Visual Perl doesn't interest me in the least).

I don't have any experience with the perl dev kit. I've got a Personal
license for the Komodo IDE which I like quite a bit. The remote
graphical debugger paid for the (then-)$30 license the first time I
needed it.

I don't do much with the regex debugger in Komodo. :( I should. :)

> Question #3: I can't get the ActiveState PPM to install modules
> successfully. I see the modules are on the ActiveState website (e.g.,
> Test::More, Class::DBI), but neither search nor install 'see' them. I've
> updated the package libraries to use the latest identified on the
> ActiveState site, but that doesn't help.

What exactly do you mean here?

I suspect that you mean: when you visit the activestate website in
your web browser (outbound traffic to port 80), you can see that the
modules you want to install are available. But when you attempt to
use ppm to install those modules (outbound traffic on port 80, I
think?), ppm fails to fetch the software.

If this is what you mean, then it sounds like you've got a proxying
problem. Are you using an http proxy? http://tinyurl.com/6x8em has
some info on using ppm behind a proxy.

> Any suggestions?

Send specific errors. I just tried to install Class::DBI using ppm
and managed it without too much hardship:

ppm > install Class::DBI
   (presents long list of modules, Class::DBI and Class::DBI::*. I
   want to install the first one it showed, so:)

ppm> 1
Unknown command '1'; type 'help' for a list of commands.
   (duh, let's try that again)

ppm> install Class::DBI 1;
   (ok, we're on our way:)

Package 1:
====================
Install 'Class-Data-Inheritable' version 0.02 in ActivePerl 5.8.0.805.
<snip>

Successfully installed Class-Data-Inheritable version 0.02 in ActivePer
05.
Install 'Class-Trigger' version 0.08 in ActivePerl 5.8.0.805.
<snip>
Successfully installed Class-Trigger version 0.08 in ActivePerl
5.8.0.805.

etc., eventually building up to Class::DBI

> Thanks very much!
>
> ...jon

HTH and welcome to the list
Belden