[oak perl] Perl 6 article

Zed Lopez zed.lopez at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 22:52:15 CDT 2004

Most of the length of the page is the comments, not the article.
Dude's only got 3 points, only one of which I consider to have any
merit.

1) I can't understand the Apocalypses, therefore Perl 6 is too
confusing. (Whatever.)

2) Perl 6 will be incompatible with Perl 5, and that's a catastrophe.
(The incompatibility is true, and it will be a pain in the butt in a
bunch of ways. But Perl 5 has a bunch of gotchas that are easy to
point to, especially in its OOP support. Python and Ruby will squeeze
us out without Perl 6. I don't think there'll be much of a Perl 5
codebase to protect in the long run if Perl were to follow his
incremental plan.)

3) Perl 6 is too complex -- no one will want to learn all that stuff,
and half of it's probably irrelevant anyway. (Rehash of accusation
against Perl 5. Perl programmers don't know how to take advantage of
the new features yet because they haven't been in our toolbox and we
don't know how to think in terms of them yet. I'm sure we'll end up
making daily use of several things that seem of only academic interest
right now. Closures didn't seem all that useful to me at first,
either.)