[oak perl] SIG-BEER-WEST: Saturday 10/16 at 6:00pm in San Francisco

David Alban extasia at extasia.org
Mon Oct 11 18:10:23 CDT 2004

SIG-beer-west
http://extasia.org/sig-beer-west/

Saturday, October 16, 2004 at 6:00 pm
San Francisco Bay area, CA

Beer.   Mental stimulation.

This event:
  Saturday, 10/16/2004, 6:00 pm, at [1]Zeitgeist Bar and Guest Haus,
    San Francisco

       [1] http://www.sonic.net/~wwpints/zeitgeist/

Coming events (third Saturdays):
  Saturday, 11/20/2004, 6:00 pm, location to be determined
  Saturday, 12/18/2004, 6:00 pm, location to be determined
  Saturday, 01/15/2005, 6:00 pm, location to be determined
  Saturday, 02/19/2005, 6:00 pm, location to be determined

The San Francisco Bay area's next social event for techies and their
friends, sig-beer-west, will take place at 6:00 pm on Saturday,
October 16, 2004 at [2]Zeitgeist Bar and Guest Haus located at [3]199
Valencia at Duboce in San Francisco, CA.

       [2] http://www.sonic.net/~wwpints/zeitgeist/
       [3] http://tinyurl.com/2hacx

According to their website, Zeitgeist has:

  [4]plenty of drafts, mostly micro-brewed beers, a good selection of
  call liquors, a beer garden, and hotel accomodation

       [4] http://www.sonic.net/~wwpints/zeitgeist/#Beers

Concerning food, they say:

  the  grill  opens  around  6.00  p.m.  each  day and closes when
  everyone's fed (or Aundre's fed up)

Zeitgeist is on the [5]corner of Valencia and Duboce and [6]looks like
this.  It's [7]three blocks from the 16th St BART station (16th St and
Mission).

       [5] http://tinyurl.com/2hacx
       [6] http://www.sonic.net/~wwpints/zeitgeist/exterior.html
       [7] http://tinyurl.com/3f8mp

Festivities will start at 6:00pm and continue until we've all left.

When you show up, you should look for some kind of home made
sig-beer-west sign.  We will try to make it obvious who we are. :-)
Note:  Please look for the sig-beer-west sign, not for a particular
person. sig-beer-west may have different hosts from month to month.

Everyone is welcome at this event. We mean it! Please feel free to
forward this information and to invite friends, co-workers, and others
(all of legal drinking age) who might enjoy lifting a glass with
interesting folks from all over the place.

Can't come this month? Mark your calendar for next month.  (Do it now
before you forget!)  sig-beer-west occurs on the third Saturday of
each month.

Want to suggest a venue?  Suggestions for new places to sip and gab
are always welcome.  Have questions, comments, or other ideas
concerning sig-beer-west?  Send all correspondence to the current
sig-beer-west Instigator.  The Instigator's handle is extasia. The
Instigator's email address is <*the handle*> at <*the handle*> dot
<*org*>.  A subject beginning with "sbw: " will increase the chances
that the Instigator's spam filters don't molest your message.

sig-beer-west FAQ

1. Q: Your announcement says "techies and their friends".  How do I
      know if I'm a techie, or a friend of one?

   A: Well, actually, you don't have to be a techie to attend.  You
      just have to be able to find the sig-beer-west sign at this
      month's event.  That's it.  Simple, huh?

2. Q: I'm not really a beer person. In fact I'm interested in hanging
      out, but not in drinking. Would I be welcome?

   A: Absolutely! The point is to hang out with fun, interesting
      folks.  Please do join us.

3. Q: Is parking difficult, like maybe I should factor this into my
      travel time?

   A: Absolutely.  The earlier you arrive, the better your chances of
      finding a spot.

      Note for June 2004:  Zeitgeist is [8]three blocks from 16th St
                           BART.  You may want to consider [9]BARTing
                           and not worrying at all about parking.

       [8] http://tinyurl.com/3f8mp
       [9] http://www.bart.gov/

4. Q: I've been thinking about attending sig-beer-west for some time
      now. Maybe I should start with this event?

   A: Yes!!

sig-beer-west was started in February 2002 when a couple Washington,
D.C. based systems administrators who moved to the San Francisco Bay
area wanted to continue a [10]dc-sage tradition, sig-beer, which is
described in dc-sage web space as:

  SIG-beer, as in "Special Interest Group - Beer" ala ACM, or as in
  "send the BEER signal to that process".

  The original SIG-beer gathering takes place in Washington DC,
  usually on the first Saturday night of the month.

      [10] http://www.dc-sage.org/

Last modified:  $Date: 2004/10/11 22:49:55 $