[oak perl] Talks?

Belden Lyman blyman at iii.com
Tue May 4 13:28:21 CDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 10:57, George Woolley wrote:
> Does anyone want to (or is anyone willing to)
> give a talk that might be of interest
> to people in the group?
>
> Let me know.

I've got little clue what I know that other people don't know,
so rather than offering to talk about obfuscated Perl regexes
(: Hi David! You know who you are! :) I'll post my wish-list of
pet projects I've been meaning to get to but haven't had the
right jump-start yet:

  * there's a few different XML parsing modules out on CPAN.
    Can anyone talk for 5 minutes or so about the different
    modules available? Why would I choose XML::Parser over
    XML::Twig? etc.

  * I've been wanting to screen-scrape http://www.uspto.gov
    recently. Can anyone talk about a web bot they wrote using
    WWW::Mechanize, LWP::Simple, or somesuch?

  * USPTO stores pre-1975 patents as .tiff only, which makes a
    full-text search impossible. I've seen some Perl OCR projects
    before; has anyone actually done some Perl OCR?

Anyone else have the desire to learn something but don't know quite
where to start? Post to the list: if someone else knows, we've got
a talk in the making.

Belden