[oak perl] Introduction [TMTOWTDI]

George Woolley george at metaart.org
Wed Jul 14 19:47:31 CDT 2004

[This is part 2 of my response to your intro.]

Steve,
TMTOWTDI is dear to my heart.

Anyway, I believe,
there are a lot of different backgrounds
and points of view represented here.

I'll touch on some of them.
If they wish,
others can put in their 2 cents
(nickle, dime, silver dollar or whatever).

* geography
There's people from various parts of the East Bay
and also people from elsewhere in the SF Bay Area.
There's also subscribers from Nevada, New York
and, hey, Costa Rica.

regexes:
There's a range of points of view about regexes.
So much so that we had a meeting
on the theme "Alternatives to Regular Expressions"
the month before Tony Stubblebine gave a talk on
"Regular Expression Best Practices".

* perl
Attitudes toward Perl vary greatly.
Some of the points of view are:
      - Perl and Perl culture rock.
      - Perl is a useful tool, but it's just a tool.
      - I need to read Perl code sometimes to do my job.

Three people in the group, that I know of,
are Perl Monks.
If you are, that makes four.

* general types of use of perl
People are using Perl in a number of different areas:
      - software development
      - system administration
      - websites
      - databases