[oak perl] Questions from a Newbie

George Woolley george at metaart.org
Tue Jan 20 18:50:19 CST 2004

An old friend of mine from New York City
has become interested in programming
and Perl in particular.

At first he was asking questions
that I could respond to based on my experience.
He's enjoying reading about Perl,
however he now wants to try it out
on Windows.
I take this to be a good omen, however ...

Unfortunately, I have never used Perl on Windows.
His main questions seem to be:
(1) What Perl should he download?
(2) What's a good editor for maintaining his code?
(3) Would it better to use an IDE?
      Which one?

He did find:
   http://www.cpan.org/ports/index.html#win32

Anyone have suggestions for him?

George

P.S. I suggested he consider subscribing to
the PBML mailing list.
PBML seems to be mostly inactive just now,
but my guess is his concerns would generate some activity.

Hm, some of you may not know what PBML is.
PBML stands for Perl Basics Mailing List.
Mike Lewis, a Perl Monk
and an early key member of Oakland.pm,
conceived of it and currently hosts it from Las Vegas.
For more detail, see:

If you are interested in helping people learning Perl basics
or expanding your knowledge of them,
I suggest subscribing to PBML.
You can subscribe at: