[oak perl] introduction

Zed Lopez zed.lopez at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 20:51:42 CDT 2004

Hi all,

I just subscribed to the list, and George encouraged me to introduce myself.

I'm Zed. I've been programming in Perl for about 8 years, mostly doing
database-driven web applications. I'd say LAMP, but it's all been on
non-Linux Unices (though I run Linux at home.)

I love Perl. It's the language where I've felt most at home, where I
can get from my thoughts to code fastest, with a minimum of tedium and
overhead. And I love the playfulness of the Perl community.

I'm an intermittent participant on PerlMonks. I'm unemployed, and hope
to correct that soon. (Discouraging note: I see about a dozen each of
Java and MSFT-technologies web programming positions for every Perl
position. Even PHP has been beating Perl in terms of numbers of jobs
listed.)

I might make the next meeting -- don't know yet.

Talk to you all later.

Zed