[oak perl] SIG-BEER-WEST next Saturday 11/15 in Berkeley

David Alban extasia at extasia.org
Sun Nov 9 08:25:45 CST 2003

sig-beer-west
Saturday, November 15, 2003 at 6:00pm
San Francisco Bay area

http://extasia.org/sig-beer-west/

Beer.   Mental stimulation.

This event:
  Saturday, 11/15/2003, 6:00pm, at Jupiter, Berkeley

    Jupiter: http://www.jupiterbeer.com/berkeley/index.html

Coming events (third Saturdays):
  Saturday, 12/20/2003, 6:00pm, location to be determined
  Saturday, 01/17/2004, 6:00pm, location to be determined
  Saturday, 02/21/2004, 6:00pm, location to be determined
  Saturday, 03/20/2004, 6:00pm, location to be determined

The San Francisco Bay area's next social event for techies and their
friends, sig-beer-west, will take place on Saturday, November 15, 2003
at Jupiter in Berkeley, CA.  According to their web site, "Jupiter
pours, on draft, its own brews plus up to 30 of the region's best
brews from other local brewpubs and small breweries."  They are
literally a stone's throw from the downtown Berkeley BART station.

  Jupiter:       http://www.jupiterbeer.com/berkeley/index.html
  about:         http://www.jupiterbeer.com/berkeley/about/index.html
  beer:          http://www.jupiterbeer.com/berkeley/beer/index.html
  directions:    http://www.jupiterbeer.com/berkeley/directions/index.html
  food:          http://www.jupiterbeer.com/berkeley/food/index.html
  Berkeley Bart: http://www.bart.gov/stations/stationGuide/localAreaMap_BRK.asp

Festivities will start at 6:00pm and continue until we've all left.
When you show up, you should look for a sig-beer-west sign.  Do look in
every (public) room of the venue for us.  We don't know ahead of time
where we'll find space.

  Note:  Please look for the sig-beer-west sign, not for a particular
         person.  sig-beer-west may have different hosts from month
         to month.

Everyone is welcome at this event.  We mean it!  Please feel free to
forward this information and to invite friends, co-workers, and others
who might enjoy lifting a glass with interesting folks from all over
the place.  (O.K., you do have to be of legal drinking age to attend.)

Can't come this month?  Mark your calendar for next month.  (Do it now
before you forget!)  sig-beer-west occurs on the third Saturday of the
month.

Any questions, comments, suggestions of things to do later on that
evening, or new venue suggestions ... email the  current
sig-beer-west Instigator.

    Instigator: extasia *AT. extasia *DOT. org

sig-beer-west FAQ

1. Q: Your announcement says "techies and their friends".  How do I
      know if I'm a techie, or a friend of one?

   A: Well, actually, you don't have to be a techie to attend.  You
      just have to be able to find the sig-beer-west sign at this
      month's event.  That's it!  Simple, huh?

2. Q: I'm not really a beer person.  In fact I'm interested in hanging
      out, but not in drinking.  Would I be welcome?

   A: Absolutely!  The point is to hang out with fun, interesting
      folks.  Please do join us.

3. Q: Is parking difficult in the Bay area, like maybe I should
      factor this into my travel time?

   A: Yes.

sig-beer-west was started in February 2002 when a couple Washington,
D.C. based systems administrators who moved to the San Francisco Bay
area wanted to continue a dc-sage tradition, sig-beer, which is
described in dc-sage web space as:

  SIG-beer, as in "Special Interest Group - Beer" ala ACM, or as in
  "send the BEER signal to that process".

  The original SIG-beer gathering takes place in Washington DC,
  usually on the first Saturday night of the month.

    dc-sage: http://www.dc-sage.org/