[oak perl] Main Speakers? Discussion Coordinators? ...

George Woolley george at metaart.org
Fri Jun 27 15:00:07 CDT 2003

Would anyone like to be:
* the primary speaker for an Oakland.pm Perl meeting.
* coordinate the main activity for an Oakland.pm Perl meeting
(e.g. propose a discussion theme for a meeting;
recruit preplanned speakers, if any;
lead the discussion).

If so, let me know.

      George

Some Background Notes
Our current regular meeting time is
the 2nd Tuesday of each month from 7:30pm to 9:30pm.
Our current regular meeting place is the home of Arden Schaeffer,
which is in the Rockridge area of Oakland.
The practice has been to place the agenda for the next meeting
on our website within a day or two after our previous meeting.
So, generally, the overall plan for a meeting is completed
by the time the previous meeting takes place.

Generally we begin our meetings
with each person briefly introducing themselves
and (hopefully) briefly saying more or less whatever they feel like.
Sometimes we have goodies from O'Reilly to give out
(in June based on a very simple lottery).
Sometimes we have a brief report or reports
(e.g. on the Perl Basics Mailing List).

For our main activity,
sometimes we've had a primary speaker
as the focus of the meeting.
Sometimes we've had a theme
with shorter talks and/or discussion concerning it.
There are certainly other possibilities.

We've had a number of lightning talks,
some related directly to the focus or theme of the meeting,
some not.

The July meeting agenda has been announced.
Edwin Sakumoto has volunteered to plan the August meeting with me
and we're in the process of doing that.
If anyone wants to take on
September, October, November or December,
let me know.