[oak perl] Checks [was So Long To Mike]

David Fetter david at fetter.org
Tue Jun 24 19:07:53 CDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 01:50:51PM -0700, George Woolley wrote:
> sig-beer-east-bay lives!
> 10 people got together at Chevy's in Emeryville last night.  We eat,
> drank, talked and said goodbye to Mike Lewis, who is moving to Las
> Vegas.

Given the situation with the check--$80 short at first cut--I have a
modest proposal: everybody pays exactly the same when we go out.  Yes,
I'm aware that each time somebody "will get less than they paid for,"
and somebody more, but in truth, what you're paying for at a
restaurant is only about 5% food, the rest going to facilities, staff,
the fact that you can send your food back if you don't like it, etc.,
etc.  If somebody eats grossly more than everybody else in a situation
like that, peer pressure works just great.  Anonymous bundles of cash
going around the table encourages people to...how do I put this
gently...underestimate their contribution.

What say we just set this as a policy in advance for the next one?

Cheers,
David Fetter david at fetter.org http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 510 893 6100    cell: +1 415 235 3778