[oak perl] 'Using perl with large SQL databases' Wed Jan 22nd 7:30 PM

Adrien Lamothe a_lamothe at operamail.com
Tue Jan 28 02:10:47 CST 2003

David Alban and myself did attend this event. Joseph Hall
is the co-author of "Effective Perl Programming." He is
currently developing a Perl package to simplify working
with relational databases. I found his presentation (which
was actually a 3 hour tutorial on some aspects of his
package) very interesting. I gave George Woolley the hard
copy of slides from the presentation. Joseph said that
he plans to post the slides to his web site soon; the URL
is www.5sigma.com/perl/. His web site is currently down.
His package is only available for use by the client that
is paying him to develop it, so the presentation was
basically a promotional event for him and Mindsource (the
consulting company he is working through on the project.)
However, the presentation was useful in that it shows
how Perl can be applied to a fairly complex problem space.