[sf-perl] Re: [oak perl] print Dumper \$|;

David Lowe dlowe at saturn5.com
Thu Jan 16 13:00:55 CST 2003

Belden et al. -

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Belden Lyman wrote:
> I think $| manages to achieve its boolean magic without using tie. But
> this is just a guess based on your test.

tie() is just the only perl-side interface to the general perl internals
notion of a 'magic' variable (yes, the technical term).

`perldoc perlguts` has all the gory details, under the heading "Magic
Variables".

$| is magical (mg_type == '\0', I'm pretty sure), but not tied
(mg_type == 'q').

:: J. David Lowe : dlowe at saturn5.com : http://saturn5.com/~dlowe/
 "Love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking
  outward together in the same direction."
         -Antoine de Saint-Exupery, /The Little Prince/