[oak perl] DSL or Cable, etc.?

Adrien Lamothe a_lamothe at operamail.com
Tue Feb 4 01:27:05 CST 2003

Hi George,

SuSE Linux has a very easy-to-use graphical
DSL configuration utility. You can get to it by first
running Yast Control Center, then selecting "Network/Basic".
In "Network/Basic," there is a "DSL configuration" icon/
option (an icon if you are using Yast2, a menu option if
using text-based Yast.)
When you run "DSL configuration," a one-page form will
present itself; the configuration options are fairly
simple. You will use the configuration options supplied
by the DSL provider. I would suggest choosing the
"Activate firewall" option (even though the provider
should have a firewall and other types of security.)

One important detail:  If the DSL provider is providing
the DSL modem (usually the case,) then make sure that the
model they give you will work with SuSE/Linux. You can do
this by going to SuSE's home page (www.suse.com) and
clicking through the "Hardware Database" link (located on
the left menu.) A "Simple Search" or "ID Search" (as
opposed to "Extended Search") will suffice to check compatibility of the device in question. I like to perform
a simple search using the manufacturer name and device type
(in this case, "modem,") because such a search will produce
a list of any devices that SuSE has information about. Note
that absence from the list doesn't mean the device won't
work (many devices enjoy linux kernel module support,) but
in this case you use the device at your own risk.

Best Wishes,

Adrien