[oak perl] State of the pm: February 1, 2003

George Woolley george at metaart.org
Sat Feb 1 19:16:06 CST 2003

State of the pm
============

Affiliations
----------------
O'Reilly User Group Program
    got 6 books/products: as gift, to 6 different people
    books reviewed: 2
    banner opportunities taken: 2
Perl Mongers

Listings
---------
Website References:
   Ecovillage (on calendar)
   Google Directory
   Monterey.pm (link to our related groups list)
   Perl Mongers North American List
   San Francisco.pm (on related groups list)
Earlier we requested listings with:
   Berkeley.pm
   Linux Mafia
   SiliconValley.pm
The following don't have listings for related groups:
   Sonoma.pm

Search Engine Listings:
Try +Oakland +"Perl Mongers".
I  tried (2003-02-01) on the 6 top search engines
per my most recent evaluation
(i.e. on Google, AOL Search, Excite, Teoma and Yahoo, Alta Vista):
All 6 had either our site or the PM link to it
in one of the first 2 positions.

Mailing Lists
PBML messages:
      (all messages lost, I believe)
      December  39 (many messages lost, I believe)
      January  15

Meetings
-----------
monthly meeting attendees:
      November  3
      December  9
      January  8

regular meeting time: 2nd Tuesday at 7:30pm
regular meeting place: not yet determined.
places we've tried:
      #1 Coffee Mill (not open)
      #2 George Woolley's (too small)
      #3 Village Restaurant (workable)**
      #4 Arden Schaeffer's (not yet tried)**
places considered and rejected: 5 (that I know of)
under consideration: see **
status: still looking

February Meeting Plans:
talk by: Dan Meriwether

invitations out for speakers: 2

Website
----------
reorganized a fair amount recently.

The Home Page includes sections on:
      what the Club is at all
      the next meeting
      * acknowledgements
      * contact info
There are separate pages on:
      * related groups
      * members (went from 2 to 8 profiles since last meeting)
There are separate directories for:
      * directions
      * mailinglists
      * meetings
      * reviews (now have 2 book reviews, had 0 before)
and also for
      our O'Reilly User Group affiliation (including newsletters)

Finally
-------
Comments? Corrections?

    -- George