[oak perl] Introduction

David Alban extasia at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 27 23:43:40 CST 2002

Greetings!

At 2002/11/24/21:15 -0800 George Woolley <georgepw at metaart.org> wrote:
>     * introduce yourself

David Alban
unix sysadmin, tools guy
Been doing perl for four years, but not as primary job responsibility.
  I use perl mostly for unix tools: general and sysadmin.  Did then
  in #!/bin/sh before discovering perl.
Very comfortable with perl, but don't know web/cgi or object oriented.
Love complex data structures in perl (but again, don't know oo).
Latest perl project:  Log::Monkey
                      <http://www.gerasimov.net/~alban/jac/Log::Monkey.html>
Live on the peninsula
Attend baylisa, sf-perl, kabuki-west; looking to attend this group
Sing in two different choral groups (sang at San Quentin on Halloween)
Co-founder of sig-beer-west (see .sig below)
Currently reading:  _Across_Realtime_ by Vernor Vinge, an awesome sci-fi
  author
Current mp3 playing:  Zappa's cover of Whipping Post from "Them or Us"
Movie I'd like to see soon:  Solaris
Movie I'd like to see soon:  the new ST Next Generation flick
Movie I wish would freakin' hurry up and get released: Matrix 2
Movie question: Why did Bab 5 never have any movie theater movie releases?
Machines at home:
  . intel p133 running suse linux (seven years old and going strong! :-)
                                  [knock on wood]
  . thinkpad running suse linux
  . indy running irix 6.2
  . ultra 30 running solaris 9
  . G3 tower running mac os 9.2.1
Unemployed for a while (see .sig below)
Wonder whether we should be adding the concept of checks-and-balances
  to the endangered species list.

>     * ask a question about Perl

What are all of those funny punctuation marks for?

>     * make a suggestion about the group

Could someone do a presentation that is an introduction to object
oriented perl programming?

>     * do something else

O.K.  May I request that folks make a reasonable attempt to trim the
quoted material in their posts?  There was one thread in which each
message in the thread contained the entire thread.  To something like
ten levels of quoting.

O.K.  That's me.  You're next... :-)

David
--
Live in a world of your own, but always welcome visitors.
                                 ***