[oak perl] Perl Basics Mailing List

George Woolley george at metaart.org
Mon Nov 25 22:33:21 CST 2002

Mike would like to create a Perl Basics Mailing List.
Here's some snipets taken from our off-list discussion of his idea.
(I view it as a Perl Quest, but I don't think we've talked about that.)

Here's my shot of a description of the list:
2) Function: This is a place for asking and answering questions
about Perl basics with the intent of mastering them,
so that we may write
more efficient, more understandable and more reliable Perl programs.

Perl basics: (This would need to be defined, but certainly includes
 the basics of hashes and regular expressions
which confuse a lot of people.)
3) Who for: This list is for beginners.
 It's also for anyone who wants to more deeply understand basics.
One of the best ways to deepen one's understanding is
to see the problems others have and help them get beyond
those problems.
No matter how advanced you are there is always more to grasp
concerning basics.
\=======================================================/

Mike is prepared to host this list:
The mechanics of hosting the list isn't a problem. I have multiple servers
here and can easily setup this or any other listserver in
minutes. If the list grows too large, then bandwidth may be an issue. I
don't know how big too big actually is though.

Both and Mike and I would like to set this up
for our group very soon.
It might be expanded to include more people later.

I think this is a great idea.
Are you interested?
Other thoughts?
     -- George