[oak perl] (fwd) [sf-perl] Learning to Write CGI Applications with Perl #5

David Alban extasia at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 25 17:45:31 CST 2002

----- Forwarded message from David Nix <nix at uclink.berkeley.edu> -----

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 09:33:25 -0800
Subject: [sf-perl] Learning to Write CGI Applications with Perl #5
From: David Nix <nix at uclink.berkeley.edu>
To: <sfpug at sf.pm.org>, <ber.pm at berkeley.pm.org>,
   <ber.pm-announce at berkeley.pm.org>

Hello Folks,

It's not to late to start Learning to write CGI apps with Perl!  We held our
first meeting last week and had a good turnout (three Daves and a Bob)!  The
topics this week are taint checking, PostgreSQL (or it's runted cousin
MySQL), and web forms.  Come join us if you can.

-cheers, Dave

Lets meet at the same place, in Berkeley, at the Valley Life Sciences
Building (VLSB) room 2063 (see the links below in how to get to campus and
then get to VLSB) at 8PM on Tuesday the 26th of November.  VLSB is the large
white concrete science building on the West side of campus (near Bart).  It
has a bunch of science gargoyles on the outside of the building.  Inside is
the science library and a replica of Tyrannosaurus Rex.  If you can't get to
room 2063 (there might be some lockdown issues).  Meet at the T-Rex.

http://ib.berkeley.edu/vlsb/VLSBmap.html (Campus map Valley Life Sciences)

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/museum/bayarea.html  How to get to the Berkeley
Campus (the museum is in the Valley Life Sciences building)

http://www.cnr.berkeley.edu/consbio/symposium/directions.html  (Another link
on how to get to Valley Life Sciences)

--

David Austin Nix, PhD
University of California, Berkeley

510-642-6799 (lab)
510-643-0062 (fax)
Nix at uclink.berkeley.edu

Old posts
Hello Folks,

It's a go!

Thanks for all the responses to my initial query about getting a group of
folks together to teach ourselves how to write CGI applications with Perl.
Making a web interface for ones Perl program is awesome and can really
expand its usefulness to everyone.  Moreover, being able to extract and use
data from the web seems like an essential tool for any programmer
(especially in bioinformatics!).

For our initial session, lets meet next Tuesday (November 12th) on the
University of California Berkeley Campus, at 8PM, in LSA (Life Sciences
Addition- adjacent to the Eucalyptus Grove on the West End of Campus, near
the Downtown Berkeley Bart Station.  I'll send details later as to which
room, how to get there, and how to get past the key card access.)  We can
change or alternate locations with SF if folks want.

The book that was suggested to me is described below.  It contains 14 real
chapters, most of which are quite relevant, some of which not so depending
on your interest.  To not loose momentum I suggest covering three chapters
per session, one session every other week for a total of 5 sessions over 10
weeks.  We might want to skip some chapters (like click tracking, counters)
and focus more time on others (like forms, mod_perl, databases, dynamic
images, web e-mail etc).

Here's a list of the chapters from the publishers website
http://perlcgi-book.com/

1. Perl, CGI, and This Book.
2. What You Should Know.
3. Using Your Environment.
4. Introduction to Web Forms.
5. Working with Cookies.
6. Access Counters.
7. Web Based File Uploading.
8. Tracking Clicks.
9. Using mod_perl.
10. Web-Based E-mail.
11. Introduction to DBI and Databases on the Web.
12. Tied Variables.
13. Embedding Perl in HTML with Mason.
14. Document Management via the Web.
15. Dynamically Manipulating Images.
16. RSS and XML.

If you want to get involved with this experiment.  (Don't feel intimidated,
my knowledge of Perl, HTML, and computer stuff in general is very much that
of a beginner.  I've been working with Perl for only 3 months!  So you won't
be the only one asking naïve questions!  That's what this group is for.  If
you are a Perl master, your input would be greatly appreciated and most
helpful!)  Do the following:

1) Come to the 8pm Tuesday Nov 12 meeting at Cal (I'll work on getting a
room and send details later)
2) Obtain  "Writing CGI Applications with Perl," Meltzer and Michalski 2001
3) Work through Chapters 1-3  (Intro stuff, getting a web server running on
your machine (Apache), security issues, etc.  There aren't any exercises but
I think these will be the hardest chapters since a lot of the configuration
stuff is platform specific and isn't covered in the book.

Have I left anything out?  Spread the word!  See you on the 12th.

Cheers, Dave

Hello Folks,
    I'd would like to get together a group of folks to meet say every other
week to teach ourselves to write CGI scripts with Perl.  I'm very much a
beginning Perl programmer who would like to put some bioinformatics programs
I've written on the web.  I looked into books and a good one is "Writing CGI
Applications with Perl," Meltzer and Michalski 2001 (see the review below).
There are 14 or so chapters, with exercises, so one a week, two a session
should get us through.

$40 from Amazon
http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts/exchange-glance/Y01Y4306597Y5307062/qid=
1035839025/sr=1-2/102-6664323-9696144

Also, if you are familiar with this type of thing, I'd also appreciate
having someone mentor the class so if we get jammed we'd have someone to
call to help us out! :)  You certainly don't have to attend but maybe be
willing to take a call/ Email or two when all hell breaks loose!  Any
mentors?

Anyone interested?  I'd like to start ASAP.  -cheers, Dave