[oak perl] Linux/Unix?

George Woolley george at metaart.org
Mon Nov 18 13:48:31 CST 2002

Belden,
Thanks for the info.

And how is this info useful to me?
An interesting question.
(1) Well, I've found it's useful in presenting stuff
like "filtering with UNIX utilities"
to know the relevant background of the people I'm talking to.
I'm getting a little head start for the meeting tomorrow.
(2) Also there's another person on the mailing list
who from time to time has problems in a Linux environment
that might be solved using Perl.
In helping him, it's good to know a bit about his environment because
(a) sometimes the capability is already easily available there
(b) then one has the option of using the environment
     to advantage in the suggested solution.
I'd like to get him to ask his questions on the list.
Now, that I know you have background in Linux,
I can be more convincing in my suggestion that he do so.
==============================
|  Aside to Arden: Are you listening?
|  Note that Belden has background in both Perl and Linux.
|  Please consider asking questions
|  about your data munging needs on this list. Thanks.
For me, that's useful.
(3) I've found that knowing about people's backgrounds
often turns out to be useful.
Of course, a particular piece of information may never be used,
or at least not in a specific identifiable way.
But, even then, it's almost always interesting to me.

   -- George