[oak perl] (no subject)

David B. Peterson dave at toppledwagon.com
Wed Dec 25 21:44:53 CST 2002

>Two thoughts:
>
>1. my ( $cc = @_[0] ); doesn't compile.
>     btw, you mean $_[0], or shift(@_), but not @_[0].

This was written in perl 4.  I said it was old. :)  Actually, I
s/local/my/ before I pasted it into the email.

$cc = $_[0] is correct.

hmmm, my example does compile on my perl.  I'm not saying it's
correct, but it works on: This is perl, v5.6.0 built for darwin

maybe 5.8 is more strict (as it should be!)

>2. sort() uses magical variables $a and $b, so it's a good
>     idea to stay away from them.

One would hope that a subroutine would my() the variables so as not
to stomp on mine.  That being said, you are right, I should stay away
from $a and $b as not all code is written properly.

-Dave