[oak perl] Perl for physical security :-)

David Alban extasia at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 4 18:33:02 CST 2002

Belden,

At 2002/12/04/16:18 -0800 Belden Lyman <blyman at iii.com> wrote:
>      my $codes = [ map { chr $_ } 33..126 ];
>
> Later, you can eliminate your call to chr(). This
> way you just comput the chr of each @$codes member
> just once, rather than each time you print it.

Awesome!  Good catch.  Done!  New version is faster. :-)

> Incidentally, why use an array ref?
>
>    print $codes[ int rand @codes ];
>
> vs
>
>    print $$codes[ int rand @$codes ];

That's a good question.  I'm not sure.  I've done a lot of stuff
where I need to pass data structures around, where the use of
references is indicated.  I guess I've just gotten into the habit of
using them even when I don't have to.

They're probably more inefficient if you don't need them.  One more
level of indirection and all that...

*extasia makes mental note for future performance tuning

David

P.S.  "obfuscate" is *really* effective when I print the output twice
      per side on the sheet of paper. :-)
--
Live in a world of your own, but always welcome visitors.
                                 ***