[oak perl] What Talk Subject?

Belden Lyman blyman at iii.com
Wed Dec 4 11:10:45 CST 2002

David Fetter wrote:

> I'd say the whole "it's off-topic" thing is a bit overblown.  The
> whole "there's more than one way to do it" spirit kinda implies that
> we'd be working in things other than perl code like HTML, agents which
> often talk to non-perl things like the standard web and ftp servers,
> OO, which is originally a highly non-perl thing, domains, databases
> (relational and others), etc., etc.  Perl is about doing what needs
> doing and not getting hung up on the small sh^Htuff. :)

I agree. Perl's a great glue language; we should know as much about
the glue as whatever we're sticking it on to.

(This next part is rhetorical, not a reply to David)

My not being interested in a particular subject doesn't necessarily
mean that that subject isn't a good idea for discussion/presentation
within opug - it just means that I'm not as curious about some things
as you are. More's the loss for me, I say.

Belden