[oak perl] Ambassador Reports: Central America, New Zealand

George Woolley george at metaart.org
Tue Dec 3 00:44:46 CST 2002

Central America
--------------------
Perl Mongers lists only one Central American group, i.e. CostaRica.pm.
The group is in the early stages of developing.
The group leader, Ronnie Afaro has kindly offered to explore
whether there are other Perl groups in Central America
(perhaps which did not register with Perl Mongers).

Ronnie and I have agreed to do what we can to help each other's groups out.
I've had discussions with him on many subjects,
most notably the CostaRica.pm web site
which has evolved in a most interesting and amusing way.
See http://costarica.pm.org

The group leader suggested that he could provide
such things as email space and a mailing list for us,
if we needed them at some point.

New Zealand
----------------
Perl Mongers lists two groups in New Zealand,
i.e. HawkesBay.pm and Wellington.pm.
The HawkesBay.pm is in the early stages of development.
The Wellington.pm was active in the past,
became inactive and now may be reviving.

I've been in contact with HawkesBay.pm group leader, Daniel Hopkirk,
for some time.
We've communicated about his site, getting his mailing list functional
and getting cgis to work on his site.
I believe I've been some small help in each of these areas.
I was the first person to post on his mailing list.
   -- George