[Nova-pm] Website up for NOVA.pm anywhere?

Max perldork at webwizarddesign.com
Thu Feb 26 06:52:54 CST 2004

Joel,

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 06:55:48 EST, Joel wrote:
> If you want a perl-based bulletin board, definitely look into ikonBoard
> at http://www.ikonboard.com . It's free (even for commercial use), full
> featured and very customizable, can be installed in hosted environments
> (i.e., you don't need root access to set it up) and can use either DBM or
> MySQL as it's back-end.

    Nice!  That one looks good to me :).  I had heard of it waaay back at
    version pre 1.0 and it has come a long way.  Looks great.

> We use it for several very busy boards for one of our clients (1.4
> million posts and counting!) and are very pleased with it's performance.

Very cool.  I like what I see.

> Since it's written entirely in Perl, it'll make lots of sense to us
> perl-lovin' folks. No need to get us mixed up with PHP if we can help it.
> :)

Haha .. I program in a variety of high-level languages, but since this
is a perl group, I will not 'go there' :P .. I have programmed perl longer
than all the others .. for a perl advocacy group it definitely makes sense
to use a perl board .. ikonboard looks really neat .. I am going to set it up
on one of my hosts today!

Anyone have objections to using Moveable Type or preferences for a different
CMS?

http://www.movabletype.org/

It supports having multiple content editors plus a lot more ..

> The only thing it doesn't do, which I wish it did, is to act as an
> archive for mailing lists. But I bet there's a hack out there to make it
> do just that.

Nice idea.  We have the mailman list .. unfortunately the PM folks haven't
installed a nice Mailman-compatible search engine like htDig .. of course
mailman is python-based :P, so maybe once we work out the hosting of this
and if everyone is satisfied with the performance/stability of the hosting
we could host the mailing list on the site and try out Siesta :).

> Anyway, just a suggestion from someone who's had experience with it.

A good one at that in my opinion.  Thanks!

Max