[Nova-pm] Website up for NOVA.pm anywhere?

Max Schubert perldork at webwizarddesign.com
Wed Feb 25 23:31:14 CST 2004

> No, we don't.  nova.pm.org is set aside for us if we want to use it.
> Can you host it?  Can you design it?  ;-)

I can host it, yes.  Right now my web hosting business is in a bit of
a state of flux due to the state of flux with Red Hat, but regardless
I do have plenty of server space and bandwidth for it now and I will
in the future as well .. the site may just go through a server->server
move over the next few months as I will be moving all my small group
of customers to a new host once Ensim (www.ensim.com) has released
its' Red Hat Enterprise edition and my hosting provider has server
images of it available so I can get the second server I am holding
onto imaged with the new control panel and OS.  I use Ensim because
it has a very nice web control panel for customers to use to manage
their own sites and because it offers chrooted user accounts .. each
site sits in its' own chrooted env as far as ftp and ssh are concerned.

I also have a reseller account with Enom so I can get us a decent price
on the domain name registration and hosting that includes a good web-based DNS manager ..
$8.95/year is the price I can get on the domain (my cost) .. just an idea.  Any
DNS registrar is fine with me :) as long as they don't have  a reputation
for being awful, I just offer this as one possible way to go on the DNS ..
or does the main .pm site host DNS so that all we have to do is add
DNS records to point to the web host hosting the domain?

I can design a site, buuuuut that is not my strength :) ... like many
softare people I can do clean and functional HTML, but not very pretty:

http://webwizarddesign.com/superfrm/
http://nmap-scanner.sf.net/
http://wwd-hosting.net/ensim/

are pages I have designed .. clean, but I would not call them pretty nor
polished  .. maybe not even that clean :P.

> P.S. Welcome, charter members!

Woohoo!  It will be interesting to see how this group shapes up :).

I can recommend CMSes that could make putting together a relatively pretty
site easy, and one that is easily maintanable ..

Do we want to stick with all perl for any server-side technology?  Since
this is a PM group, that makes sense to me.  One blogger that can be
used to make a nice site that is all perl is Moveable Type .. have any of
you used it?  I have and I like it from both a user perspective and from
a look and feel perspective.

Another perl-based CMS-type program I have used is TWiki (www.twiki.org) ..
I bet a few of you here have used it .. the interface takes some work to
make it pretty but it too can be used as a CMS and offers very nice group
interaction abilities as it is an Wiki implementation.

I have read about Siesta, an all-perl mailing list manager that looks
really interesting, on www.perl.com .. have any of you used it?

Other suggestions for CMSes or site design options / features?  I think it
would be nice to have a web-based bulletin board as well .. phpBB2 is a good
OS/GPL one .. vBulletin is one I really like but it is $160 to buy or
$99/yr to lease .. and neither of those are perl-based :P.

Regards,
Max