[HRPM] Perl Book

Mark D Wolinski mark at mrmark.com
Tue Apr 4 09:54:45 CDT 2000

Hi all...

As I mentioned last meeting, I received a letter of inquiry from Angela
Kozlowski at Sams Publishing looking for people interested in doing a Perl
book.  At the time, I had requested more info from her and finally received
it.

While I'm not advanced enough for it, perhaps someone in our group is.  Not
only would this offer the opportunity to work on a perl book, if you're lead
author you also get royalties and your name on the jacket...not to mention
some good PR for yourself.

I'd certainly encourage anyone who's knowledge of Perl is advanced to get in
touch with her.  She has been in touch with me from her:
angela at butterfly22.com address.

Mark

Here's the information she sent along:

Hello!

Thank you for your response!  I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back to
you.  I was unfortunately pulled away to a conference all last week and
didn't have much time to access email.

The Perl book we are currently interested in publishing is intended to be in
our new "White Book" series.  The White books provide content relative to
the professional's work.  The book explains how the technology is used and
can be used rather than how the technology is supposed to work. Workarounds
are always explored if necessary. The advice and code and examples all
reflect practical and realistic ways for solving problems.  These books are
typically 600-800 pages in length and are preferably aimed at an
intermediate audience.  The books are very author driven and are not as tied
to a specific structure as our other series.

We are currently in search of someone who can take the lead author role on
this project.  The lead author generally takes the lead role in creating the
outline and the vision for the book.  The lead would prepare the proposal
(outline and book information sheet) and then be the person who would stay
on top of news on
the subject in case we need to add or change anything at a later point. The
lead author typically writes 40-50% of the book at minimum.  They receive a
royalty
and an advance, rather than just a flat fee.  Of course, the lead is the
name on the front cover.

If this role interests you,  I can forward the materials you'll need to
create the proposal and we can discuss the book in more detail.  If you'd
rather be more of a contributor (write a chapter or a couple chapters), that
is fine as well and we can decide how much you'll contribute once we have an
outline finalized.

Please let me know how you'd like to be involved and we can proceed from
there.  Any and all questions are welcome.

Much thanks!

Angela
Angela Kozlowski
Acquisitions Editor